During winter weather conditions, driving may be hazardous and the collection of garbage, compost and recycling may be delayed or postponed for Portland residents. In the case of severe weather, collection will be prioritized in the following order:
What to do
- When garbage or compost collection must be delayed or postponed due to inclement weather, a reasonable effort will be made to pick up before the customer’s next scheduled collection day. Evening and Saturday collections may be necessary.
- If garbage or compost collection must be delayed or postponed to the next scheduled collection day, twice the amount of the current subscribed service level will be collected on the next regularly scheduled collection day at no additional charge.
- If recycling collection must be delayed or postponed it will be collected the next regular collection day.
- Haulers will make every effort to remedy all weather-related misses in a timely manner. Please be aware that while your street may be clear, access to your neighborhood may not. After the severe weather event, drivers may need to deviate from their regular scheduled routes in order to make up snow day misses. This may impact your collection. We appreciate your patience during this time.
- Haulers will carefully monitor the weather and plan their recovery process as conditions allow.
- During bad winter weather, please leave your roll carts at the curb. This will ensure your carts will be emptied when roads are deemed clear enough for safe passage.
- No credits or refunds for missed collections due to inclement weather or issues beyond hauler control.
Questions during severe weather conditions?
Call your garbage and recycling company or the City of Portland Curbside Hotline at 503-823-7202.
Need help remembering garbage day?